How to Report Building Code Violations

Thousands of people are injured every year due to common building violations, such as exposed wires and broken handrails. If you notice a potential danger in a business or a building, it’s important to know how to report building code violations so that others do not get hurt. You’ll want to report it to someone in charge at the building and/or to a local authority so that they can take proper measures to remedy the issue.

Common Building Violations

Apartment buildings, construction sites, grocery stores – any type of building or business – can have building violations. Some of the most common injury-causing hazards on private and public premises include:

  • chemical and gas exposure;
  • broken glass;
  • improperly stored materials;
  • electric malfunctions;
  • loose carpet, broken handrails, and other slip and fall hazards;
  • malfunctioning elevators and escalators;
  • wet floors with no signage; and
  • out-of-place equipment or merchandise.

How to Report Building Code Violations and More

Should you notice a hazard, you’ll want to report it to someone in charge at the building, be it a manager, supervisor or owner. If no one can be located or if management fails to act, here’s how to report building code violations:

  • Fire – if it’s a fire hazard, you can contact the Denver Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Division at 720-913-3474.
  • Dangerous dog – you can report a dangerous animal to the Denver Animal Shelter at 720-913-1311.
  • Hazardous waste – for hazardous materials, you can contact Denver’s Hazardous Waste program at 1-800-449-7587 or the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment at 303-692-3320.
  • Sidewalk or parking lot – for issues outside of a building, such as potholes or icy sidewalks, you can contact 311 in Denver by dialing 3-1-1.
  • Security issues – if there is suspicious activity or if you see any security breaches, call the Denver Police Department at 720-913-6010.
  • Miscellaneous hazards – for food safety issues, noise complaints or other hazards that might affect the health and safety of the public, you can contact the Denver County Department of Environmental Health at 720-865-5402.

Filing a Premises Liability Claim after Reporting a Building Code Violation

It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that all reasonable measures have been taken to fix or address safety hazards. This is for both ethical and legal purposes.

“Good management practices dictate that every effort should be made to eliminate risks and to warn against them so that injuries do not occur. This is not just a matter of legal liability and the costs attached thereto. It is a matter of humane concern for those who enter your property,” explains Charles Hunt, J.D., writing for the Graziadio Business Review.

If someone is injured as a result of a hazard in a building or place of business, he or she may able to file a premises liability claim against the owner to recover damages. Injured parties should seek legal counsel to determine their eligibility.

Legal Consultations for Premises Liability Claims in Denver

For legal questions about how to report building code violations, building hazard liability or any sort of personal injury claims in Denver, call the law office of D.J. Banovitz. Contact us today for a no-obligation case evaluation at 303-300-5060.

D.J. Banovitz’ career has always concentrated on trial practice and he has litigated hundreds of cases. His passion and sole career focus has been to seek justice for people suffering from personal injuries as the result of someone else’s negligence. The hallmark of the Law Office of D.J. Banovitz, is the total commitment to professionalism, quality, and personalized care of your injury case. D.J. has dedicated his professional life to helping those most in need and is a proud and active member of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association. His experience includes volunteering for Colorado Rural Legal Services in Montrose, the Colorado Aids Project, consumer law, family law, criminal defense, and Alternative Defense Counsel for juveniles in Denver.